PIANO & VOICE LESSONS
In person or online lessons available!
It has been a joy to teach piano and voice since 2006!
Kathryn Carpenter Studio, M.A.
Piano lessons can include:
* Traditional piano
* Classical music
* Improvisation on hymns, jazz standards, or other popular forms
* Improvisation on chords/arranging
* Chords and theory
* Piano method books
* Students can pick their interest in piano study!
Vocal lessons can include:
* Vocal technique
* Vocal warm ups
* Classical voice (opera), jazz, gospel, and Christian music
* Topics discussed in voice study/technique: posture, relaxation, resonance, tone placement, diction, breathing, vibrato, vocal styles, and other topics!
For more educational resources, check out the blog & free sheet music on this website!
FINGER EXERCISE BOOKS FOR PIANO LESSONS
MUSIC EDUCATION RESOURCES
Create Music in the Key of C
Click photo to download a FREE copy of "Create Music in the Key of C"
* These are the fundamentals and foundation for the key of C and improvising within this key!
* Includes C major scale (both hands)
* Includes C major, F major, and G7 (both hands), as well as chords inversions!
* Includes the main chords in C major: C, Dm, Em, F, G7, Am, and B dim
FREE SHEET MUSIC: FINGER EXERCISES, AND MUSIC THEORY FOR STUDENTS
Other sheet music is available through: www.sheetmusicplus.com (Kathryn Carpenter)
THE C SCALE ETUDE
Click on photo to download a FREE copy of "The C Scale Etude!" This etude includes the ascending and descending C major scale!
C scale for right hand and left hand
* Employs various rhythms
* Includes C major and G7 chords
* Utilizes the Alberti bass for the ending
* Includes parallel motion C scale and contrary motion C scale
* Study piece for C major scale
"Jingle Bells" Tutorial & C-D-E-F-G
Learn to play a easy version of "Jingle Bells" and the beginning notes C-D-E-F-G for piano!
FREE sheet music available above!
FINGER EXERCISE COLLECTION IN F MAJOR!
Finger Exercise Collection (24 exercises in F major)!
* Click on the photo to download a FREE copy!
* 24 finger exercises in key of F major (piano)
* 5 note finger exercises (F-G-A-Bb-C)
* Exercises to gain proficiency in the 5 note pattern of F major
* Employs F major and C7 chords
As a teacher (piano instructor), I have used these exercises (mostly in C major, adapted some of them) over the past nine years. As many method books move quickly, it is wonderful to employ these finger exercises as repetition in order to learn F-G-A-Bb-C as well as F major and C7 in both hands! In addition, the repetition gives the student a sense of accomplishment and knowledge in the key of F!
Major Chords Part 1
Learning major root chords and inversions!
Major Chords Part 2
Learning major chords (root position) and chord inversions!
Learning minor chords (root position) and chord inversions!
The dominant chord is usually the fifth chord of any key!
C7 (V7 - fifth chord of F major)!
Common Dominant Chords:
C7 - C E G Bb = 5th chord in the key of F
D7 - D F# A C = 5th chord in the key of G
F7 – F A C Eb = 5th chord in the key of Bb
G7 – G B D F = 5th chord in the key of C
E7 – E G# B D = 5th chord in the key of A
A7 – A C# E G = 5th chord in the key of E
E7 – E G# B D= 5th chord in the key of A
"The Blues Got Confused"
Did you know there are two blues scales?! Yes! Major blues & minor blues!
Another sources, says there are other blues scales as well!
C Minor Blues: C-Eb-F-F#-G-Bb-C
Eb Major Blues: Eb-F-F#-G-Bb-C This piece includes C minor blues and the parallel C major blues! Source: Jazzology, pg. 30
"The Land of the Whole Tone" (Original Piece)
The Whole Tone Scale is such a fantastic scale with a far away sound and feel! There are really two patterns; once you know the patterns, you can invert the chord and know them all!
Jazz Method for Kids
Jazz Method for Kids (Piano)
* An exciting study of jazz, blues, and improvisation for piano students, teens, and kids!
* Supplemental method for students wanting an introduction to jazz chords, blues, and improvisation
* Method is all music (instruction or theory explanation not included)
* For the intermediate piano student
* Blues exercises
* Includes ii-V-I progressions in the key of C
* Includes root chords for 6th chords, M7th chords, m6th chords, m7th chords, and dominant 9th chords!